Artificial intelligence writing tools are designed to save busy professionals’ time and provide them with high-quality content in a fraction of the time it would take to write manually.
We compiled a list of the best AI writing software, including their features, pricing, and areas of strength and weaknesses.
- Top AI writing tools: Comparison chart
- Best AI writing tools
- How to choose the best AI writing software for your business
- How we evaluated the best AI writing tools
- Bottom Line: Top AI Writing Tools
Top AI writing tools: Comparison chart
|Vendor||Best for||Built-in plagiarism checker||Grammar checker||Free plan||Starting price|
|Copy.ai||Beating writer’s block||No||No||Yes||$49 per month or $36 per month when billed annually|
|Rytr||Copywriters||Yes||No||Yes||$9 per month or $90 per year|
|QuillBot||Students and academics||Yes||Yes||Yes||$9.95 per month|
|Frase.io||SEO teams and content managers||No||Yes||No||$14.99 per user per month or $12.66 per user per month if paid annually|
|Anyword||Blog writing||Yes||Yes||No||$49 per user per month or $39 per user per month billed yearly|
|Grammarly||Grammatical and punctuation error detection||Yes||Yes||Yes||$12 per month, billed annually or $30 when billed monthly|
|Hemingway Editor||Content readability measurement||No||Yes||Yes||Free|
|Writesonic||Freelancers and social media marketers||No||No||Yes||$19 per user per month billed monthly or $15 per user per month billed yearly|
|AI Writer||High-output bloggers||No||No||No||$19 per user per month|
|ContentatScale.ai||Creating long form content||No||No||No||$250 per month|
Copy.ai: Best for beating writer’s block
Copy.ai is an artificial intelligence writing tool designed for freelance writers, marketers, business owners, and copywriters to create various forms of content, including website copy, sales landing pages, email, social media bio, and blog sections.
The tool allows you to add a brand voice by creating content that reflects your brand voice – this helps it generate copy that aligns with your organization’s persona.
- Free: They offer a free plan with up to 2000 words per month.
- Pro: Copy.ai’s pro unlimited words cost $49 per month or $36 per month when billed annually – for up to five seats.
- Team: It costs $249 per month or $186 per month when billed annually – for up to 20 seats.
- Growth: It costs $1,333 per month or $1,000 per month when billed annually – for up to 75 seats.
- Scale: It costs $4,000 per month or $3,000 per month when billed annually – for up to 200 seats.
- Custom Enterprise Plan: Request for a custom quote.
- Offers over 90 copywriting tools.
- Copy.ai allows you to save and reuse key information via its Infobase feature.
- The platform offers a chat feature that enables sales and marketing teams to interact more naturally with AI.
- Support 25 languages.
- It has a low learning curve and is easy to use.
- Users applaud its brand voice capability.
- Fast-growing community.
- Various email templates.
- It lacks creativity and easily gets detected as AI content.
- Lacks full-length article writing feature.
Also see: AI Detector Tools
Rytr: Best for copywriters
Rytr is an AI-powered writing assistant capable of producing content on various topics.
The platform supports 40 use cases, including blog ideas, email, job descriptions, blog section writing and more – you can also manually create your use cases by training Rytr for your specific needs. Note that only paid plan users can create custom use cases.
- Free plan: Allow users to generate up to 10k characters per month.
- Saver plan: $9 per month or $90 per year. Users can generate up to 100k characters per month with this plan.
- Unlimited plan: $29 per month or $290 per year.
- Outline & brief generator.
- Business idea generator.
- Support copywriting frameworks like AIDA (Attention–Interest–Desire–Action) and PAS (Problem–Agitation–Solution).
- Serves as keyword extractor and generator.
- You can use it to create an SEO meta description.
- Support up to 40 use cases.
- Users can write in 30 languages with up to 20 tones.
- Built-in plagiarism checker.
- Limited support for low-tier plans.
- Can sometimes overuse phrases.
Also see: Best Artificial Intelligence Software
QuillBot: Best for students and academics
QuillBot is an AI-powered writing assistant that allows you to paraphrase and summarize texts and also functions as a translator and citation generation tool.
If you need a quality paraphrasing tool, I recommend QuillBot, especially for content marketers. But students and people in academia may not prefer the tool because its output doesn’t consistently pass AI detection tools.
- Free: Available at no cost with limited capability.
- Premium: This plan is billable monthly, semi-annual and annually.
- Monthly: $9.95 per month.
- Semi-Annual: $6.66 per month – $39.95 billed every six months.
- Annual: $4.17 per month – $49.95 billed every 12 months.
- Team plan: Price varies depending on the number of users.
- Offers Chrome and Word extensions for grammar checking.
- It can create source citations in various styles, including APA, MLA, and Chicago.
- Support up to nine paraphrasing modes, including creative, simple and academic.
- Language translator capability.
- Supports up to 23 languages.
- It has a grammar checker that functions like Grammarly.
- There are only two writing modes for free accounts.
- Manual intervention is often needed.
Also see: Top Generative AI Apps and Tools
Frase.io: Best for SEO teams and content managers
Frase.io is an AI writing assistant designed to help you generate content, improve grammar and spelling, provide suggestions for better writing, and even help with SEO optimization. It can be used for brainstorming ideas and improving writing skills for beginners.
Unlike the other tools we reviewed above, Frase doesn’t offer a free plan and their free trial costs $1 for five days.
- Solo: $14.99 per user per month or $12.66 per user per month if paid annually.
- Basic: $44.99 per user per month or $38.25 per user per month if paid annually.
- Team: $114.99 per 3 users per month or $97.75 per 3 users per month if paid annually —extra seat cost $25 per month.
- You can also get unlimited AI content with the Pro Add-On at $35 per month.
- Automated content briefs.
- Content scoring capability.
- Produce SEO-optimized copy with an AI Writer.
- Google search console (GSC) integration.
- Content optimization.
- Topic research and SERP analysis capability.
- You can also use Frase to optimize existing content to improve the rankings.
- Lacks free plan.
- It is expensive for small businesses.
Anyword: Best for blog writing
Anyword is an AI writing tool that uses machine learning algorithms to generate content. It can assist with writing tasks such as creating ad copy, crafting social media posts, generating blog content, and more.
The tool has a Copy Intelligence functionality analyzes your previously published content to determine which messaging works best on your website, ads, social, and email channels.
- Starter: $49 per user per month or $39 per user per month when billed annually.
- Data Driven: $99 per 3 users per month or $79 per 3 users per month when billed annually.
- Business: $499 per 3 users per month or $249 per 3 users per month when billed annually.
- Enterprise: Custom pricing.
- Support up to 30 languages.
- Google Chrome extension available.
- 100+ performance-driven templates.
- Integrates with Grammarly.
- Brand voice capability.
- Copy intelligence capability.
- It has a friendly user interface.
- Anyword has a word limit.
- It is costly for individuals on a budget.
Grammarly: Best for grammatical and punctuation error detection
Grammarly is a popular online writing assistance tool that can help you improve your written communication by checking for grammatical and spelling mistakes and offering suggestions for enhancing clarity, conciseness, and style.
It can be used in various contexts, such as writing emails, reports, essays, and social media posts. Grammarly can be used as a browser extension, a desktop application, or a mobile app and is free with limited features or as a premium subscription with additional functionalities.
- Free: Available at no cost.
- Premium: $12 per month, billed annually or $30 when billed monthly.
- Business: $15 per month, billed annually or $25 when billed monthly.
- Real-time grammar correcting.
- Generative AI assistance.
- Plagiarism checker.
- Checks grammar, spelling, and punctuation and improves writing style.
- Plagiarism checker.
- Writing style improved.
- Tone and voice suggestions.
- Grammarly can sometimes provide suggestions that don’t align with the intended meaning or writing style.
- The free plan lacks an advanced clarity feature.
Also see: 100+ Top AI Companies
Hemingway Editor: Best for content readability measurement
Hemingway Editor is a writing tool that helps you enhance the clarity and readability of your written work. It analyzes text and provides various readability suggestions. It highlights lengthy, complex sentences, excessive adverbs, passive voice, and hard-to-read phrases.
It assigns a readability score based on the grade level required to understand the text. It is available both as a web-based application and as a desktop app.
The platform is free to use.
- Improves writing clarity and conciseness.
- Provide a readability score.
- Alternative word suggestion.
- Helpful color coding and suggestions.
- Works well for assessing the readability and complexity of your work.
- Simplifies the editing process.
- Text formatting functionalities such bold, italics, quotes, numbers, bullets and header tags like H1, H2, and H3.
- Some suggestions by Hemingway Editor may not align with your writing style or desired tone.
- Limited scope.
Also see: ChatGPT vs. Google Bard
Writesonic: Best for freelancers and social media marketers
Writesonic uses artificial intelligence technology, specifically natural language processing (NLP), to provide content generation services.
Writesonic’s AI can generate text based on prompts and user input, making it useful for content marketing, copywriting, and other writing-related tasks. While it can be a helpful resource for content creation, the quality of generated content may vary, and human editing is often required to ensure accuracy and coherence.
- Free: 10,000 free words per month.
- Small Team: $19 per user per month billed monthly or $15 per user per month billed yearly.
- Freelancer: $20 per user per month billed monthly or $16 per user per month billed yearly.
- Enterprise: Starts at $500 per month.
- Support GPT 3.5 and GPT 4.
- AI Article and blog writer.
- Paraphrasing tool.
- Sentence expander.
- Text summarizer.
- Story generator.
- Landing page generator.
- Support up to 30 languages.
- 1-Click WordPress export.
- Integration with third-party services.
- Lacks advanced editing features.
- Not suitable for tech articles.
AI Writer: Best for high-output bloggers
AI Writer is designed to generate full-length articles in minutes.
The platform allows you to tailor the AI’s writing to your specific needs by selecting from a long list of recommended keywords for your topic or by manually inputting your chosen keywords. It also suggests sub-topics for your article and helps you structure your content with headings; it cites its sources.
- Basic Plan: $19 per user per month.
- Standard Plan: $49 per month for three users.
- Power Plan: $375 per month for 10 users.
- AI text generator.
- SEO editor.
- Publish to WordPress.
- Text rewording capability.
- It provides list of citations for verification.
- Users finds the content it generates SEO friendly.
- Requires extensive editing of the generated content.
- Basic user interface.
ContentatScale.ai: Best for creating long-form content
Those looking for an AI writing tool to create blog posts and other long-form content may find ContentatScale features suitable.
The platform claims to pass AI detection tests, indicating that its generated content mimics human writing and is not easily distinguishable from human-written content. ContentatScale also offers an AI detector solution that ranks as one of our review’s best AI detector tools.
If you’d like to check ContentatScale’s claims of passing AI detection tests, see: AI Detector Tools
- Paid trial: 7-day paid trial at $39.9.
- Solo: 8 monthly posts, $31 per post —$250 monthly.
- Starter: 20 posts per month, $25 per post —$500 per month.
- Scaling: 50 posts per month, $20 per post —$1,000 per month.
- Scaling: 100 posts per month, $15 per post —$1,500 per month.
- Keyword, YouTube, Podcast, File, Doc to New Blog Output.
- Unique Voice AI Training options.
- AI detection capability.
- Natural language processing analysis.
- Offers tier pricing plans to fit all needs.
- Offers content optimization tools.
- WordPress and Shopify integration.
- No free plan.
- The tool is somewhat expensive.
How to Choose the Best AI Writing Software For Your Business
The best AI writing tool for your business depends on your AI writing needs:
If you need a paraphraser, QuillBot and Writesonic may be the best for you.
- Copy.ai and Rytr are ideal for copywriters and social media managers looking to create short-form content and marketing copy.
- AI Writer, Anyword, and Writersonic are solid options for those looking to create long-form contents like blogs.
- Frase can help you optimize your contents for SEO.
- Grammarly and Hemingway are great options for checking grammar, spelling, and style in your AI-generated content.
Some factors to consider when choosing the best AI writing software for your business:
- Content quality.
- User interface and experience.
These top tools can be used together for better and quality content. For instance, you can use QuillBot to paraphrase Anyword’s AI-generated text, use Grammarly to correct spelling and punctuation errors and use the Hemmingway App to improve readability.
How We Evaluated the Best AI Writing Tools
We weighed the best tools across five categories –each category has sub-categories that helped us evaluate and compare the AI writing tools.
Cost – 20%
We examined the different pricing plans offered by each AI writing tool. This included evaluating the cost of the tool on a monthly or annual basis, as well as any additional fees or hidden costs. We compared each tool’s cost to its value, looking for tools that offer a high level of functionality for a reasonable price.
Features set – 30%
We assessed the writing capabilities of each tool, including its grammar and spelling correction, sentence rephrasing, and content generation capabilities. We looked for tools that provided accurate and high-quality writing suggestions.
Ease of use – 10%
We looked for tools that have an intuitive and user-friendly interface, allowing users to navigate and utilize the tool’s features easily.
Quality of output – 25%
We evaluated the accuracy and coherence of the generated content produced by each AI writing tool. Tools that could generate clear, well-structured, and error-free content received higher scores.
Support – 15%
We assessed the availability and responsiveness of customer support channels, such as email, live chat, or phone support. Prompt and helpful customer support is essential for users who may encounter issues or need assistance with the tool. We also considered the availability of resources and documentation, such as user guides, tutorials, or knowledge bases.
Bottom Line: Top AI Writing Tools
Our review identified the best AI writing tools to help your writing needs. While the above choices are excellent for now, please check back for updates – this market is constantly changing.
Remember, too, that though these tools are solid, they may not fit everyone perfectly. Ultimately even with a leading AI writing tool, the best results derive from a skilled human writer with the help of an AI writing tool. That’s not likely to change anytime soon.